Skip navigation

I had checked up on the dates that our local college sets aside for letting the student body blow off its hormonal imbalances, and figured we could get in and out before the revelers showed up in Rocky Point.
What I didn’t take into account was that there are other schools…D’oh!

Still, we only caught the real insanity on the tail end of our visit, Friday night.

Leaving Tucson on a Wednesday noon, we made good time while emitting a cloud of dog fur from the cab of my little truck.

OMG, the fur. It’s everywhere. EVERYWHERE. Don’t get me wrong, I like our dogs just fine, but when the fur’s flyin’ into your food and drink, well, I wonder just how much of our diet is comprised of the stuff, never mind how much gets inhaled.

Arriving at Safe Marina, I got Sovereign loaded and launched right away, then made my way over to Marina Fonatur. Pam drove the truck with the fur-bearing critters over to our usual handicapped parking spot. I still think they let us park there because of our poor Spanish.

The boat wasn’t too filthy, as we were only away from her for a couple of weeks. Maybe the local winds were favorable, too. After a quick hosing off and wiping down of the cockpit and deck, I bent on the mainsail and installed the reefing lines. With the winds forecast, we shouldn’t need them, but like certain tools, it’s nicer to have and not need, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

Quite a bit of work had been done on the dive boat being refitted a couple of slips to the North.


All that wood will be encased in fiberglass and resin. There was still a lot of grinding going on, but for the most part, the winds were favorable for us during this trip.

It was high time for dinner, and we ended up at Mary’s for the shrimp cocktails and tacos, with the dogs in tow, of course.

Day 2-

After a leisurely morning’s breakfast on the docks and a huge coffee buzz, we put out to find some of the light wind I was seeing from the flags at the navy yard. It looked as if I could fly my spinnaker as soon as I made the turn around the dive boat, so I set it up there at the dock. Unfortunately, the light wind decided to change direction as soon as we got out onto the Sea of Cortez, and not wanting to end up on Sandy Beach, we only got in a short run before it was time to stow my favorite sail.


Still, the dogs weren’t being too inconvenienced by any excessive heeling.


It’s our furry cockpit obstacle course. I think I’m ready for a bigger boat.

Slowly the winds died down to where the sails were just flopping to and fro with the light swells, and we were only able to sail about 3 miles out from port before I turned her around and motor-sailed back in. I’d rather not be out after dark if it’s not necessary, and these dogs tend to deny their biological needs when aboard.

That evening we walked over to the Blue Marlin for dinner, hoping to be able to find a seat on the small patio. Homero’s place was pretty quiet however, and he told us that the influx of college students tends to keep his regular clientele away.

I understand.

Day 3-

At the docks, I spoke with Oscar, the captain of the catamaran Tempo. The last time we were in town, he said he’d give me a shout out on the radio as to where the whales were. I had tried to raise him without success, so today I asked him for a radio check, and all he got from me was static. Hmm. It was receiving just fine, but not transmitting.

Up on deck, there’s a VHF connector just before the antenna cable passes through the deck, so I pulled it apart and put it back together, and that’s all it took.
Have to watch that.

Today’s winds were expected to kind of mirror yesterday’s, so we got out a bit earlier. Thankfully, the winds decided to defy all prognostications, and we were able to sail about 6 miles out, where we were told the whales could be found.

Here’s a screen shot of our track, starting a couple miles out from port.


The course change at the bottom “V” was when Oscar called us up on the radio, alerting us to his sighting of the whales in the area. We did finally get to see them, but that durned camera wasn’t focusing worth a damn. Here’s the best shot I was able to get of them.


There were at least two of them, and they were more active than the last time we’d seen whales here, noisily surfacing and blowing. Pam seemed happy.


We had a great beam reach happening on our way back in, and Sovereign literally surfed down every following swell, or actually up every swell, sometimes getting over 6 knots of speed. I was thinking about reefing, but I just let out the sails to where the boat wasn’t heeling quite so much, and enjoyed the ride. Pam even took over as “helmsperson” for awhile.


An excellent day of sailing, all in all.

The party boats were out making money that evening, blasting loud music throughout the harbor, but I was appreciative of this boat’s decibel level.


Thank goodness the boats ceased operations at a reasonable hour, relegating the partiers to more distant areas of town.

We lit out for the Blue Marlin again, and I can now recommend the chipotle shrimp. Holy mackerel, is that tasty!

Day 4-

Kind of a replay of the last last day we had down here, what with skipping breakfast, hauling out the boat, and getting lunch on our way out of town.
The traffic coming into Rocky Point was more dense than I’d ever seen before, so I figure we’d gotten out just in time.

Another bit of information I gleaned from the locals: stay away during Easter!

Okay, then.



  1. See any trace of the Malaysian airliner?

    • I’m wondering what other major news bits we’re missing during this remarkable coverage.

        • Anonymous
        • Posted March 17, 2014 at 8:35 pm
        • Permalink

        True dat cousin, true dat

  2. Congratulations on being selected – you are in some pretty impressive company there! But you do a really good job, and I always look forward to reading about your sailing adventures. I have been on the Fonatur dock this week, sailing every day. The whales (like most of the Spring Breakers) have eaten, mated, and moved back home. I hope to see you again soon down here…Kevin

    • Thank you, Kevin! I hope the sailing’s been good, and please say “Hi” to everyone at the marinas for me. We’ll be visiting again quite soon, fur and all.

      • Let me know when you are going to be back down. We won’t need to compete for a slip because I have started using the slip on the other side of the Sea Ray – it has an excellent direct line to the Wi-Fi signal. Sailing has been challenging – I ran 12 miles towards Bird Island yesterday in 3 foot swells and 15+ knot winds; I slept very well last night for sure! Send me an email sometime.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: