Skip navigation

With the onset of Tucson’s Summer heat, we took a few days during early June to enjoy the slightly cooler temperatures of Puerto Penasco.

Monday morning, I dropped off my little truck at Lew’s Automotive to have the struts replaced (night and day difference. Thanks Lew!), and made our way towards Mexico. A few hours later we rolled into town, stopping at El Doctor’s for some of their delicious ceviche. The roads surrounding Safe Marina were technically completed, the tide was high and we could splash immediately, thank you very much.

A short run over to Marina Fonatur, claim a slip, then finish setting up the boat. It’s warm and humid, and it pretty much kills my urge to get out there.
Let’s set up a boom tent, have a beer and a little siesta.

The flurry of road-building has now extended to the well-worn back route between our two marinas, with Fonatur now experiencing a bit of inconvenience. As we carefully negotiated the torn-up side streets, I’m reminded that this kind of stuff is just one reason I’d like to stick to the water.


With around six inches of fresh concrete being laid down, the road will be closed to automotive traffic for about a month. This may impact the party barges’ business somewhat, but I think that the tourist season’s just about over, anyway. I suspect the local fishermen who use the beach at the end of the road to launch will be the most affected.

That evening, we walked over to the Blue Marlin, and talked Homero into allowing our two dogs to stay with us on the patio, despite a momma cat and her several kittens having taken up residence there. Momma pretty much just glared at Ziggy and Gilligan throughout our dinner, and we kept the dogs on very short leashes. Thank you again, Homero. I hope the cats weren’t too traumatized.

Dang, the mosquitoes that night were prompting me to consider a netting for the breezeways in the boat. That little whine of wings just has me slapping at invisible threats all through the night. I don’t remember them ever being this bad, in my limited experience here. Something to engineer this Summer back in Tucson. Maybe magnets could be used to allow for a quick mosquito-proofing.

Day 2-

After breakfast at the docks, we put out of the harbor, and were met with swells that seemed rather large for the wind conditions. This turned out to be what I believe was an amplification effect of the actual sea-state further out, so I’m glad I didn’t “just turn around” like we did on our last visit. Had a wonderful day sail, and Pam got in a little swim behind the boat. We fixed a long line to the transom, and she tied herself off, just in case. When she climbed back aboard, she thought I should jump overboard, too. Yeah, right.

Do you know how to stop the boat, dear? How to drop the sails, secure lines and get the motor running?


I’m not relinquishing control until I have a much better idea of your ability to perform these basic tasks. And it’s not just for my safety, but yours, too.

So I just grabbed a bucket of saltwater and doused myself in the early afternoon heat. The cockpit needed a good rinsing off of all the dog fur, anyway.

The fur, the fur.

the fur. the fur

We got back into port just before sunset, slightly sunburned and ready for dinner. La Curva, where the fish special was way too much food for me.

Day 3-

I wanted to stop by Marina Puerto Penasco and take a closer look at another boat for sale, a 32 foot Ericson I’ve briefly mentioned before. Ernesto was kind enough to unlock her and Pam was finally able to get a firsthand look at a more seaworthy boat.



Hmm, no windlass. Manually pulling up that anchor and chain will take a toll.


A repair job under the deck-stepped mast.


A bird-damaged windex. It seems that my MacGregor’s the only one around with a functioning windex, but it really is just a luxury. You don’t need a weatherman…


End-of-boom sheeting, which is routed between the two shade covers. I wonder what’ll happen to those bimini frames when an unintentional gybe takes place? I can only imagine the mainsheet catching and ripping the frame bases right from the gunwale.

I have many more questions for the owner. Thank goodness he lives in Tucson.

We again put out of the harbor for a short daysail, heading towards the new cruise ship pier being built way out on Sandy Beach. Huge rumblings were produced by dump trucks unloading many tons of rock and rubble onto the end of the still-unfinished structure. A big ol’ bulldozer would then shove the pile around, and the next dump truck was already backed down, ready to unload.

Leg two had us heading Southerly, and I was hoping to line up port and wind for a decent spinnaker run. Turned out that the wind became a might stronger, enough to fill my 150% genoa for the final downwind leg.



No spinnaker necessary!

Back at the docks around mid-afternoon, it was decided to hit the beach along Las Conches.

Aerial of Las Conchas Peninsula

We should check out the Morua estuary sometime. Probably during high tide, it would appear. It looks to be about 18-plus nautical miles from port, so a round trip could take about 10 hours or more, not including an inspection of the estuary.


Sounds like an overnighter to me. Our poor dogs may have to finally learn how to relieve themselves at sea.

Dinner that evening was at a small place called Los Magueyales, where we enjoyed a simple dinner of piping-hot fajitas with beer.

And later that evening, we again served up dinner for the hungry mosquitoes.

Day 4-

Seeing as how low tide was around 0830, and a fairly extreme one at that, we leisurely breakfasted and tidied up the boat in preparation for haul-out around 1100. We were able to hit the road for Tucson about noon, and except for a brief wait at the border and a photo-op-stop of my favorite saguaro (yes, I have a favorite saguaro)…


…we got back to the Ranch and our waiting cats at a reasonable hour. Poor Clem, he hadn’t had moist cat food for three and a half days!

I plan on trailering Sovereign back up to the Ranch in the next couple of weeks, so, yes, this was likely the last hurrah of the season.

So much work to do…;)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: